I don’t recall when I did my first headstand, as it has been and continues to be an evolving process. I do remember feeling exhilarated when I could hold it in the middle of the room with balance and stability. I then re-learned how to do it using my core as my center, which added to its benefits as a strengthening and healing posture. What I do in headstand continues to advance as there are so many versions, so many ways to be playful and experimental (see above) as my body gets stronger and more open.
Yoga, as anyone that practices knows, is a journey. One, that in many ways, reflects our journey through life. We start as beginners, curious, open, and fascinated by what this practice brings to us physically, emotionally, and spiritually. The simple and beautiful practice of moving mindfully, being present, and breathing consciously opens up new ways of thinking and being in the world.
The best part about Yoga is that you never stop growing and learning, so you can be a beginner forever. Not in the sense that you don’t progress, but in the sense that there’s always something new to learn, and when you approach it with a beginner’s mind, the curiosity continues, the ego takes a backseat, and you learn to take yourself less seriously, experiencing joy in discovery and celebrating your transformations, both small and grand.
I’m excited to bring that experience your way with a new series of headstand workshops. This is not your typical workshop which generally lasts a couple hours on one day. This is an extended workshop, spanning 10 weeks, which we will journey together, honing in on your personal strengths and discovering your opportunities to grow. Adding headstand to your yoga practice is ideal for experienced beginners, intermediate students, and advanced students that want to learn to headstand in the strongest and safest way possible. Your commitment to this practice will:
- Strengthen your core (abdominals and back).
- Strengthen and stretch your hip flexors.
- Increase balance, focus, and stability.
- Take your yoga practice to a new level of growth, challenge, and joy in achievement!
Here’s what participants from the first Headstand Workshop Series had to say:
I have really enjoyed Sasha’s headstand workshop. I have seen all aspects of my body change in response to our work toward the headstand, and I feel that my practice as a whole has expanded throughout the workshop. Sasha is a wonderful and supportive teacher who is able to adjust her methods in order to help all of her students succeed. ~Christa Santos
The headstand workshop series offered much personal attention and detailed instruction from Sasha. The sessions were fun and I enjoyed seeing my progress and that of my classmates each week. Sasha was very encouraging and it was a safe environment to try new things. I didn’t anticipate how much some of the principles I learned there would affect all of my practice, not just headstand, and linger with me throughout my day. ~Charles Sydnor
This workshop was amazing. It really changed my practice. In addition to doing headstands, my entire practice has improved. Also, Sasha is an amazing teacher. She is great to work with. Sasha works patiently to meet the needs of each student. The entire experience was wonderful, and I am so glad that I was able to participate. The small class size also allowed for the students to bond. I was so excited for my fellow students when they achieved a headstand. I highly recommend her workshops to everyone. It’s incredible what a big difference it makes. ~Erin Santos
Here’s how it works. You can choose to meet on either Wednesday evenings or Saturday mornings. You attend the 90-Minute mixed level group class, specifically designed to warm-up and prepare the body for the specialized 30-Minute headstand practice after. There is a maximum of 5 people that can participate per section, so everyone receives one-on-one attention and can work at their own pace. We are all here to support and encourage each other.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Select the Wednesday section or the Saturday section.
- Wednesday Section: Group Class, Yoga Movement (Mixed Level), is 7:00pm-8:30pm, Headstand Practice is 8:30pm-9:00pm, January 16, 2013-March 20, 2013
- Saturday Section: Group Class, Yoga Movement (Mixed Level), is 10:00am-11:30am, Headstand Practice is 11:30am-12:00pm, January 19, 2013-March 23, 2013
- To register, please email me [firstname.lastname@example.org] expressing your interest, and let me know how long you have been practicing yoga, if you already practice headstand, and if there are any special considerations I should be aware of. I will then send you an invoice for $100 to attend the full 10-week series of 30-minute practices.
- Purchase a Class Series (10 or 20) for the 90-minute group class which precedes the headstand practice and is a prerequisite to attend. Bodies must be warm and ready to move into advanced postures.
Please feel free to call me [323-823-8963] or email [email@example.com] with any questions. Space is limited to only 5 people per section, so be certain this is something you really want to commit to, as it is through commitment that transformation occurs. I look forward to taking this journey with you.